💻💖 Use your programming skills to make the world better!
What we're looking for
We're looking to hire someone who:
- Takes pride in building and maintaining beautiful software.
- Knows that great software is built with our community members, not merely for them. We aim to be partners with our users, not mere service providers.
- Understands that including and integrating the diverse perspectives and experiences of our community members makes software better.
- Supports our mission, wants to help us grow, and wants to grow with us.
We welcome candidates of diverse backgrounds and experience to apply, including people of color, women, LGBTQI, differently abled, and those with a non-traditional education.
NAMI is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
What's the job?
Here’s what Year One is all about. For an ambitious programmer, this is the stuff of dreams — shaping the direction of our national software & systems strategy.
- 🌿 Grow and improve our core business application. Our “NAMI 720” system serves as a CRM and event management system for our 700 state and local organizations. We’re migrating our users from a clunky legacy system to a shiny new Laravel-powered system. We’re taking the best ideas, design, and techniques from the Software as a Service industry to build a system that supports our entire Alliance. (And our members are delighted with the improvements.)
- 📊 Empower our members with data. Our member organizations would love to display up-to-date NAMI data on their own websites, but right now it’s all siloed on the national website. We’re building PHP-backed web services and web components that allow our members to repurpose this data for their local communities.
You’ll be part of the team the designs, develops, and deploys these systems. We’ll need you to help us make decisions about what we build and how. And you’ll be responsible for bringing creative ideas and providing feedback on other people’s ideas so that we continue to do better.
Year Two and beyond will build on the foundation we create with these two projects.
What's our tech stack?
We use the following technologies:
- Laravel + WordPress are the dual engines powering our web infrastructure. We use WordPress for most of our websites (and our learning management system), and we use Laravel for our core line-of-business applications. We love PHP. 💖🐘💖
- Twilio and Flex runs our nationally-recognized NAMI HelpLine call center. This phone + SMS platform allows us to integrate external data sources (resource directories, local support group listings, etc.) into the system our volunteers use to support our callers.
- Salesforce is our core CRM. This works well for our contact management, so we're building a Laravel front end for our state and affiliate organizations to manage this data.